What does my USG test report indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: USG report reveals prostrate iS enlarge in size and normal in shape.It's echotexture is altered.Capsule is intaqct and no sizeable mass lession. . But prostate gland measures 29mm x 40 mm x 43 mm. and weight is 35 gm.. Impression PROSTATOMEGALY, wHAT IS TO BE FUTURE COURSE OF ACTION OF MINE ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment depends upon the symptoms ,

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted you have enlarged prostate the weight of the gland being 35 gms,

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Do you have obstructive voiding symptoms like frequency .poor stream ,nocturia etc ?
2) What is the post void residual urine reported in USG scanning ?
3) Do tou have irritative symptoms like burning ,urgency etc?

Following factors are the deciding factors in management of enlarged prostate .
1) Severity of obstructive symptoms
2) Volume of post void residual urine
3) Status of urinary stream

Considering your age and if your symptoms are not bothering and if the quality of your life is not disturbed by symptoms you can manage the symptoms by medical management with Tomsulosin and Dutasteride once daily .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and for further management .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Sir , in reference to your above valuable advice , want to convey that RUV is 20 cc. Also have some burning symptom for last 2 months specially while seating or in sleeping posture while keeping both leg upward. Used to urinate once in the night time during 3-4 a.m. Status of urinary stream is normal most of the time. whether surgery is required or can be treated with medicine. Urine RE and culture test also done . culture shows no significant growth after 48 hours, 2-3 pus cell and epithelial cells are present. USG also shows MILD IRREGULAR AND THICK WALLED URINARY BLADDER. PL. ADVICE
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
For the time being You can manage with medicines

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Your symptoms are of mild nature ,minimal post void residue of only 20 cc ,no sign of infection ,nocturia also once in a night hence you can manage it with the medicines I have suggested in my earlier reply .

Enlarged prostate is progressive disease and one has to re evaluate every year by doing Scanning ,PSA test etc and take a call for need for surgery as and when symptoms become severe enough to affect quality of life .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.