What does my CT scan report indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi my names XXXXXXX age 22. college student.
i had suffered from stomach ulcer (h pylori +ve)a year back due to consuming unhygenic street junk foods. i got well by taking antibiotis. but my digestive systems health couldnt fully get back to normal after that. 2 or 3 months after i got well from ulcer i started having pain in my lower right abdomen. i did a ct scan. ct scan showed all organs fine....but some innflamation at the ileum region. so i did a colonoscopy , biopsy resulted in chronic ileitis. doctor said its ok and told me to avoid junk food and eat more alkaline fruits and vegetables and it will get well on its own. well it improved a lot since then but not fully.
every now and then when i try out some junk food it pains and it worries me.
current symptoms: mild pain in large intestine regions
and in stomach region when trying out spicy food
excessive flatulence ,burping

and advice?
thank you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Disturbed gastro intestinal flora.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

The problem you are having is gastritis along with disturbed Gastro intestinal flora.The intestinal microflora is a complex ecosystem containing over 400 bacterial species. Anaerobes outnumber facultative anaerobes. The flora is sparse in the stomach and upper intestine, but luxuriant in the lower bowel.The intestinal flora is capable of fermenting indigestible carbohydrates (dietary fiber) to short-chain fatty acids such as acetate, propionate, and butyrate. The major source of such fermentable carbohydrate in the human colon is plant cell wall polysaccharides such as pectins, cellulose, and hemicellulose. The acids produced from these fiber substrates by bacteria can be an important energy source for the host.
The gut flora helps to neutralise some of the toxic by-products of digestion, reduce harmful substances (such as toxins and carcinogens), and discourage 'bad' bacteria and yeasts. It also helps to stimulate the digestive process and aid the absorption of nutrients, as well as producing vitamins including B and K.
So any problem with this flora causes symptoms like gastric pain,burping,poor digestion etc.
I would suggest you to take probiotics for few weeks.Probiotics will help to restrore the depleted intestinal flora,Along with probiotics B complex are to be taken.Once the flora is replenished all problems related to digestion will improve.
Along with it pantroprazole 40mg can be taken once daily to provide symptomatic relief in burping and bloating.
Some general instructions are-
Try to take lots of yoghurt in food.
Avoid smoking and alcohol.
No spicy oily food.
No fast food like pizza,burgers etc.
Dring plenty of water.
Take isapghullu husk 2tsf once daily before going to bed.
Eat a lot of vegetable and fibrous fruits.
Eat Pear and Oranges in fruits.
Follow up after a week!
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 days later
thank you sir for your advice.
also sir i had taken imubless for 1 month but still the mild inflammation in ileum wont go away. i will start taking probiotics and prebiotics in a few days as per as your advice and ive been already taking 1 kgs of fuits(apples , banana, pomegranate,grapes) daily for 2 months now. also ive heard that chronic imflammation can also cause cancer. so sir what are the extra precautions that i should take?
thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi again
Mild inflammation will take some time to settle down,Things will get better gradually.
There is no magic formula so just try to follow all advice,Don't panic be patient and gradually things will start getting better.
1 kg fruit per day should not be taken,You need 30-40grams of total fibres in your diet every day,So 400-500 grams of fruits is more then enough.Try to include fruits rich in fibres like oranges and peers also.
It takes years for inflammatory disease to develop into cancer.So just follow the precautions i adviced above .
Follow up after 4 weeks.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana