What does late periods with positive UPT indicate?

Question
Hi! I'm really worried because I've been trying to get pregnant and this month my period is late (it's usually a 32 day cycle). So far it's 5 days late, and I think I conceived around 20th-23rd July. My last period started 2nd July. On Monday 4th August I took a home pregnancy test first thing and got a really faint line in the test area. Next day I took another first thing in the morning and got a faint line but more obvious and pink-coloured. I went to the doctors that afternoon and had a blood test in the evening, but yesterday (Wednesday 6th) I got the results and it said 46ml HcG, and my doctor said had I read the tests wrong, and maybe I got it wrong... I thought anything above 25ml was a pregnancy. She told me to go for another blood test this morning, so I'm waiting for that now but really worried that I'm headed for a miscarriage or something. It's my first pregnancy. We've been trying for 3 months since I came off the pill, and timing sex around likely ovulation etc. Thank you, if you can help me at all. Is 46ml just too low to be viable?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes pregnancy is there.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
If your date of conception is near 23rd July then it is only day 15 post ovulation. The Normal beta-HCG levels in early weeks (after conception) are as follows:
1) 0-1 week > 0-50 mIU/ml
2) 1-2 weeks > 40-300 mIU/ ml
3) 3-4 weeks > 500-6000 mIU/ ml and so on (Peak level on 8 weeks).

Generally, beta-HCG level will double every 30-72 hrs and your level is quite low. Though anything above 25 mIU/ ml is considered positive for pregnancy in most of the cases.

A low hCG level may indicate following thing:

1) Wrong calculation of ovulation date 2) Ectopic pregnancy 3) Possible miscarriage or blighted ovum

A repeat test for HCG after 48 hours will clear your confusion. Take suggestive measures accordingly.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What does late periods with positive UPT indicate? 16 minutes later
Thank you so much for replying. At least I was right that it was a positive pregnancy; just that the levels are low and hence might be a worry. I'm trying to stay calm and not get too upset. I'll see what the results of my second HcG test are, this evening, and hopefully they will have risen.

What are the best ways to minimise miscarriage risks, if I'm at risk, ie. lifestyle wise and everything?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take rest.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
To decrease the risk of miscarriage it is best to avoid any heavy work or exercise avoid intercourse take rest as much as you can. Avoid having papaya and pineapple.
You can also take progesterone supplements if your gynecologist prescribes you. Start taking folic acid and Vitamin E supplements also.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.