What does increased iron level in blood indicate?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Recently had a blood test & it flagged up too much iron in my blood.
The result was 29.4 umol/L
Is this cause for concern?
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 minutes later
You need to provide the range or tell the units in which your test is positive because it will be difficult to distinguish whether its a deficiency or elevated levels and only after that treatment will be decided.
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 27 minutes later
I have recently had a full blood count. The result was that I have excess iron in my blood.I have been re tested by my doctor, but wondered what a normal result was? The report gave the result as 29.4 umol/L. I am a 60 year old female & dont take supplements of any kind.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thanks for reverting back.

As you say that the iron is increased I percieve that serum ferritin is increased which is also an acute phase reactant so can be raised in many conditions . And Please send me your reports as it needs to be correlated with your Hb reports , TIBC , Serum iron .etc.

Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 29 minutes later
My other results were normal.
Haemoglobin 138 g/L
Red blood count 4.40 unit x10^ 12/L
Haemocrit 0.420 unit null
Mean cell volume normal
Mean cell haemoglobin normal
MCHC 329 g/L
Platelets normal
White blood cells count normal 4.21
Then it lists Neutrophils etc all normal
Kidney & liver function normal
Albumin 42 g/L
Protein 63 g/L
Total cholesterol 5.1 but I'm on statins for that
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Please undergo full iron studies namely S ferritin , TIBC , etc. See it can be just an acute phase reactant or hemosiderosis needs to be ruled out in which there is excess of iron is which subsequently gets deposited in organs . These are two main differentials. They need to be seen . Since your all other parameters are normal I dont see a reason to worry .

Dr. Shruti