What does atypical glandular cells in an pap smear test mean?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I just had a pap smear with atypical glandular cells. I also have fibroids and pain in my pelvic region. how worried should I be?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would need colposcopy for evaluation

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different aspects to the cervix. There are glandular cells (glands) that are involved in the production of mucus in the cervix. There are also glandular cells in the endometrium (uterus) and other area of the reproductive tract.

Atypical glandular cells means that there was an abnormal appearance to these cells. It is not necessary cancerous but atypical (unusual). There is a slightly greater risk of cancer with atypical glandular cells than with some other atypical changes but not all women with this result have cancer.

Normally after this result, colposcopy is suggested. Colposcopy is a procedure where the doctor takes a look at the cervix using instrumentation.
During that procedure may gently scrap to remove cells from the cervix for a better look.

The subsequent treatment depends on the result of the colposcopy and biopsy findings.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions