What does a small bump above the hip bone on stomach indicate?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have a small bump, that is firm, and has a slight yellow brusing around it on the right side of my stomach right above my hip bone, almost on my side. It is not painful at all, I can press on it and nothing happens, there is no pain. I dont have any odd symptoms so im a little confused on what it could be. Been told it could be the start of a hernia, or a hempatoma, which seem vastly different to me when I read, but they both have pain indicators, and I dont have that.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you please add a picture?

Detailed Answer:

A picture can greatly help to answer your question.

Also since when do you have it? How does it feel to touch- hard, firm , soft or rubbery etc? Does it reduce in size when pressed? Is it attached to overlying or underlying structures- trying to slid this bump can give you some idea?

Awaiting reply.Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later
its hard to the touch and if I pitch up the loose skin I can pinch around it, it stays with the skin if I move or play with it, doesnt feel like anything is attached underneath it, which you'd think if it was a hernia and you pinched the bump area you'd feel something under it right?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you please add a close up photo?

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry, but can't see the bump clearly.

Please can you add a close up photo? I might go off line but will surely answer it once back.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 2 minutes later
also if a press on it and cough it doesnt change size or move, just a note, not sure if its relevant
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Doesnt look like hernia.

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for delay in reply.I was XXXXXXX

This is not hernia.Hernia in this location are uncommon, unless someone is operated at the site with resultant weakening of the abdominal wall.Hernias are common little lower down in inguinal region.Also it doesn't change in size when pressed or on coughing.

This looks like focal skin infection or insect bite gone unnoticed, now presenting with some underlying unresolved asymptomatic inflammation.Nothing needs to be done for this.If you want you can apply a antiseptic cream.

Rarely undue pressure or friction for short time can cause such lumps under the skin, again these dont need any treatment.

So no active treatment is needed for this.You can just keep a watch on this and it will resolve on its own.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.