What causes rashes on the left to right forearm and ear?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
I had/have a rash or something after a skin infection on left forearm. Er Doc said it Might allergy to the antibiotics.

I got the rash 3 days after taking Keflex for 10 days. The rash got bigger for almost a week before it flattened out and just stopped flaring up now. Skin is now discolored and flaky but feels normal, before it was raised and itchy.

Now it's on my ears and I've been waiting it out. I'm not sure if it's the same type of rash. I'm just wondering if this looks like it's healing...

So it went from my left forearm, to my left ear, then to my right ear in a day.

My left ear was swollen while the right was normal, few days later, the left ear was still swollen but right ear is beginning to get red as well. Then they both were swollen and red. For almost a week, just like the original rash on my left forearm.

Now, the left ear is normal size, but flaking and looks very dry while right ear is still swollen but much better than before.

I feel warmth at the back of my head and on the right ear sometimes especially the right side. The warmth comes and go.

Thought?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 11 days later
Brief Answer:
Either allergic reaction to keflex tabs or eczematous rash

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photographs.
It could be either an allergic reaction to keflex tablets or an eczematous rash.
In both the pictures the rash has healed almost and I can appreciate some dryness and redness.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply topical steroid like cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily along with frequent and liberal application of a moisturising lotion containing white soft paraffin on the entire forearms and ears 2-3 times in a day.
This will resolve your problem.
The warmth on the head and ear could also be related to the same allergic or eczematous reaction.
For this you can take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily at bedtime for 10-14 days.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 days later
Do you think Aloe Vera can help with these kinds of rashes. When I noticed bumps forming on the top of my hand I used Aloe Vera 100% gel and the bumps subsided almost overnight. It didn't develop like it did on my forearm or ears. Now I'm applying it on those as well. Is it truly helping or am I imagining it and the hand rashes were never forming. Also these medicines you're suggesting. Are they necessary? Or their purpose is just to speed up my recovery? I bought Cetrizine 10mg, can't find any petroleum jelly, do you have something else you can suggest in Canada? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Alovera gel can help in healing of these rashes

Detailed Answer:
Aloe vera gel can also help in healing of these rashes.
The medicines I suggested are not absolutely necessary since your rashes are already in the healing stage.
If you didn't get petroleum jelly you can simply apply any moisturising lotion on the affected areas twice daily.