What does a persistent rash behind the ears indicate?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have had a rash for the last couple of weeks. It is behind my ears (where the skin is cracking, hurts to the touch, flaky skin) and on the inside of my arms (just on the other side of my elbows where it is small bumps and very itchy). And then, it went to my forehead. I have been using Cetaphil. It seemed to get better, and then suddenly flared up even worse over the last couple of days. I used a 'tar' shampoo, which I am thinking may have aggravated it. I switched to using Vaseline today. Is there anything else.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Based on your description, it appears to be a superficial skin infection which is quite extensive ( most probably impetigo ) and would require systemic antibiotics instead of topical antibiotics. If the distribution is in a dermatomal pattern then herpes zoster is the likely cause. The lesion with herpes zoster is very painful and is not just a rash with slight itching or discomort. Anti virals would be required as treatment in that case.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 22 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX Sareer XXXXXXX

Are you able to prescribe antibiotics online - or does this require a visit to a doctor?
Do you know what would be the cause of this? I have been trying to do a process of elimination to determine the root of the problem - diet, clothing, bedding, detergents, etc...
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

This forum doesn't allow us to prescribe drugs online.

The cause in this case is often hard to pinpoint.

Dicloxacillin or amoxicillin clavulanate is a good empirical option for treatment.

A previous cut, wound, abrasion, insect bite and health care facility work /contact are the possible risk factors.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 58 minutes later
Very grateful for your assistance and follow through. Have a wonderful day!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Have a great day.