Suggest treatment for pericoronitis while on Amoxicillin

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hello!
I was diagnosed with pericoronitis 1 week ago and prescribed amoxicillin 500 3/day. There is an improvement on my overall status but I have a couple of concerns:
- I found a white-yellow bag in the gum that sometimes drain, is this a sign of the infection still being there?
- I have scheduled the extraction for tomorrow, is there any problem with this "white-yellow" stuff for extraction?
- I still have ocasional strong pain, is this normal in case the infection had gone away?

Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is a sign of infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

A white-yellow bag over the gum when you are diagnosed with Pericoronitis is due to Infection only..

It is a pus pocket or an abscess and is due to Infection..

You need not to worry about extraction as it can be done under antibiotic cover.

So proceed with it..

For pain you can take higher painkillers like Tramadol or Ketorolac.
Do warm saline gargles..
Do antiseptic mouthwash gargles..

Please write back for more queries..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 28 minutes later
Thank you very much Doctor!

Is it normal to still have the infection after 8 days on amoxicillin?

Again, thank you!

Pablo
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is possible

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Yes Infection can last for even 8 days or more
You can also talk to your Dentist about prescribing higher antibiotics like Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium combination.
It can help you get rid of Infection faster..

Hope this helps..

Regards..