What does a lump inside vagina and vaginal bleeding indicate?

Posted on Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I just detected a lump inside my vagina. Yesterday I had some bleeding on the toilet tissue when I wiped myself. I'm wondering what might be wrong.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: ATROPHIC VAGINITIS,GROWTH,EROSION OR FOREIGN BODY Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. You could have just felt your normal cervix inside. Spotting after menopause ( I assume at 57 you ARE menopausal ) should be investigated though. It could be mostly due to atrophic vaginitis - the hormone deficiency affects the local mucosa of the vagina. It dries up and becomes brittle and fragile. IT is thus easily prone to injury, breakage and infections, thus leading to spotting . Also, there could be some erosion, polyp or growth on the cervix, which you might have felt too, and which caused the spotting also. Are you sure there is no old retained forgotten foreign body inside ? For a patient with your clinical profile presenting to my clinic, I would first perform a thorough internal evaluation - per vaginum and per speculum. Next I would go for a pelvic ultrasound scan. If necessary, a swab for infection and a Pap smear as the findings dictate. THis workup would reveal diagnosis. In any case, do not ignore post menopausal spotting in conjunction with a lump. Please consult a gynaecologist soon. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 12 minutes later
I am not menopausal. I haven't had a period for 10 years. I also have had constant vaginal itching (maybe unrelated). Also, I had a pap smear about a month ago. Everything was fine. All I had at the time was thinning of uterus wall. The blood I saw yesterday came out of nowhere and was not like spots. More life streaks of blood. I also had my urine tested my urine tested for a urinary tract infection last month. It came back negative. Could I possibly have a yeast infection. I was given a gel cream for the itching but it keeps coming back. My biggest concern is the blood that came out of nowhere. Although I haven't had any bleeding today.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: I fail to understand. If you have not had a period for 10 years, that does make you menopausal, doesn't it ? You did not mention the itching - that is a definite clue. As the Pap and the urine tests are normal, I feel that yes, this is a new infection. The most possible explanation is yeast infection, as that is the most likely one. Get your blood sugars tested. Also, have a repeat internal checkup. A yeast infection would have clearly shown up on a check up - that part still baffles me. Get a vaginal swab taken - it will diagnose an infection if it exists. In addition to the cream, you might need vaginal or oral antifungal tablets. The blood of course should not be ignored. More reason to have a repeat evaluation. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
One last question, please. Why would I get my sugar levels checked?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: That is because , diabetes predisposes to recurrent infections, particularly yeast infections.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN