What do pimples all over the body indicate?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doc

I have these pimples all my body no iching

Can you please prescribe me some medicine

Pictures attached

Which all areas of body are involved?
Front and Back not on the face
Is there no itching or pain or discomfort?
Itching but no pain
Any lesions over face and scalp?
no
Do you apply any oil or creams over body?
No
Are you currently on any medicines or steroids or do you take any body building supplements?
no
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the images attached. The lesions over your back could be acne or pityrosporum folliculitis.
Acne usually presents with red raised bumps, pustules and comedones while p folliculitis presents as severely itchy raised bumps which is usually seen with oil application or in oily skin. Usually a diagnosis of p folliculitis is made when exacerbation or no response is seen in lesions with antibiotics.
The treatment varies in these two conditions.
Acne responds to oral antibiotic, topical antiacne cream and soap while p folliculitis requires antifungal treatment.
These two conditions can only be differentiated by clinical examination. So please visit a dermatologist nearby for same.
Hope this helped.
Should there be a query, please write back
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 5 minutes later
Can you advice a antifungal cream or ointment or any oral medicine that i cud take
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
I can't confirm the diagnosis of p folliculitis unless I have seen the lesions. In p folliculitis, I usually prescribe
Tab ketoconazole 200 mg once daily for two weeks or fluconazole 400 mg single dose depending on severity
Ketoconazole shampoo to bathe. Apply over affected area for five to ten minutes then wash off
Antifungal cream like clotrimazole cream two times on a day
Take tab levocetirizine 5 mg twice daily for itch.
If its p follicultis lesion should start responding in a week
Hope this helped