What do my lab test results indicate?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi, I just want to know what these mean. I got lab work done at the ER. They said they didn't see anything that I should worry about but i'm reading online things about cancer and now i'm concerned.

Lab tests from 4/4
RBC - UA     0-2 /hpf     
WBC - UA     None /hpf     
Squamous Cells     Present
Transitional cells     1+      
Mucus     Present      

I read that Squamous Cells being Present could mean Cells changing to cancer cells. Now i'm worried.

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
you need to repeat the test after 1 month

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
PAP smear is a screening test to detect any abnormal cells present in cervical region. It is not confirmatory.
Biopsy and histopathological examination is a confirmatory test.
Presence of squamous cell doesn't necessarily mean presence of cancer. It means some abnormal cells are seen. But they could be present if some infection is there or it could be just inconclusive.
I would recommend you to repeat the test after 1 month again or if you want it sooner then you can give tissue sample for biopsy to clear your doubts.
Usually they will report the squamous cells in detail and not just squamous cells present. If you could upload the report image here I could have better look at it and answer you better.
Will wait for you to upload the report.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak