• question-icon

What do my lab test reports indicate?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello!
One friend of mine after feeling unwell made some check up analysis.
After the results a doctor said that she shoul see some hematolog. She is nowvery worried, can you tell me something regarding the analysis?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be related to the low ferritinn

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

As you and your friend would have seen , her results are printed along with the expected normal range for each particular test result.

Those values outside of the stated normal range are: (1) WBC- white cell count, the change here is only minor and not significant

The lymphocytes, monocytes, neutrohils, eosinophils and basophils that you see at the bottom of that same page are related to the white blood cell count, they are different types of white blood cells.

The eosinophils and monocytes can go up if there are any allergies or sinus issues present

(2)the hemoglobin and hematocrit are also very slightly decreased. A low Hb means anemia but since her value is 11.5 and the normal range is above 12, this is only a 0.5 difference so the anemia is very mild

(3)her ferritin level, on the next page, is also low. This may indicate that her iron levels are low and need to be replaced.
The low iron levels can cause the decrease in hemoglobin and hematocrit

It is possible that she is being referred to the hematologist because of the low iron because the differences in the other results are minor only.

There is nothing alarming about these results.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Thank you doctor!
Meanwhile I am asking something about myself. I also have very low Iron and I eant to show you my analysis and I am taking ferro 3 twice daily. Is it the right dossage to use? Or it is very low? Thank you againg
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
can be taken 3 times daily

Detailed Answer:
HI

It can be used 2 to 3 times a day, if you find that you are constipated with the three times a day, can go to twice daily.

Your blood test should be repeated in 6 weeks to 3 months to see if there is improvement

Please feel free to ask anything else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
The doctor of my friend asked her to make some analysis so she could find the reason why is this situation, some urine test and to control while occult blood test while defecating. Do you think I should make this kind of exams too? Is there at other exam I should make?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can do investigations

Detailed Answer:
HI

You should do iron level testing and also do the stool occult blood test as well.

If you have heavy periods, this may be the reason for the low blood count. An ultrasound of the pelvis would be needed

If there are any other issues, can let me know
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
The iron level is ferrtin and sideremi? I also suffer from thyroidit of hashimoto but I take eutirox and my hormon levells are balanced cause I just make the check up.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
iron levels, ferritin levels and total iron binding capacity

Detailed Answer:
HI

The iron levels would be : iron levels, ferritin levels and total iron binding capacity

I mentioned fibroids as a cause of the heavy bleeding and low iron. Fibroids are not related to thyroid hormone levels
Dr. Michelle Gibson James