• question-icon

What do my EKG test results indicate?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, I'm a 62-yr old male. History of CAD, type 2 diabetes, COPD, hypertension, TIA's, had 1 stent in '08 (RCA was 80% blocked). My EKG result from the VA read in part, "sinus rhythm with septal infarction." But it was never completely explained to me what that was. I am on 12-different meds as well as nitro for when I get chest pain. Should I go to the ER if I have even MINOR pain/pressure in left side of chest. I hate to be an 'alarmist.' Thanks in advance.

XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Meriton Siqeca 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some tests are advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM. I understand your concern. Thank you for the question.

Well, descriptions on the EKG sheet are mainly for orientation if there is something wrong or not, until the patient is directed or not to a more specialized healthcare facility. We cannot be based only on that, to reach to conclusions.

On the other hand, you are a person with now-known coronary artery disease (a stent was implanted in the right coronary artery 8 years ago).

In this standpoint, an advancement of the coronary artery disease is not ruled out.

I would recommend a cardiac check-up at the moment: an Echo cardiogram (so that heart structures can be properly assessed, by means of size and function); and a Cardiac stress test (so we can decide if there is a part of the heart that is suffering from ischemia).

Depending on the results of these two tests, further diagnostic approaches may be recommended, such as coronary angiogrpahy.

Therefore, to avoid going to the emergency room every time you have chest pain, these tests will provide whether these episodes come from a coronary artery blockage or not. And if yes, diagnosis and treatment are also done with these procedures.

I hope to have been of help. I am happy to help, if you have follow-up questions.

Best regards,
Dr. Meriton
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Meriton Siqeca

Cardiologist