What do my CT scan test results indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I would like you to interpret for me my ct scan results in layman's terms. I am currently being treated for chronic noon bacterial prosititus with flomax and doxycycline. Also for what they think is n anal fissure...using Nifedipine for that and stool softeners and Restorlax which are not working all that well..Have not had a bowel movement for 2 days now...Hopingf for some relief soon.. I have had traces of bright red blood when wiping a couple of times and once very thin, red lines (pencil like lines) on each formed stool surface.Anyway, due to these two conditions they recommended a ct scan. I recently received the results and they are difficult to understand. Please give me your opinions and ideas.

:The urinary bladder is distended and prostate gland enlarged. No free fluids or free air in abdomen or pelvis. No focal abnormality in the bladder. There is a mild haziness along side of the rectal serosa, stranding of the resorectal fat, nonspecific. No gross evidence of an obstructing rectal lesion and no bowel obstruction. Remainder of colon is unremarkable. Appendix, terminal liem and small bowel loops are grossly unremarkable as is pancreas, spleen, liver, gallbladder and adrenal glands. Noretroperitoneal, iliac chain or inguinal lymphadenopathy....Please let me know your thought on this...Thank you
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your prostate is enlarged and there is mild inflammation around rectum

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

Your CT scan results show the following.
The urinary bladder is normal.
The prostate is enlarged in size.
There is likely mild inflammation around the rectum however there is no problem in the colon or rectum csusing any luminal obstruction and there is no need to worry
Rest of the abdomen is normal and does not show any problems.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
I am currently taking Restorlax and Metamucil to relieve constipation...Its not working very well and I have not had a BM for 2 days...I have pain right near the anal spinkter...Hurts mostly after evacuation for up to 2 hours and the dull throbbing pain is always there 24/7 right between the buttocks. I am using Nifedipine 3 times daily to relax the muscles but nothing seems to be working...Could this be the anal fissure they THINK I have causing this or could it be something else...and do you have any ideas on how to restore regularity...Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to work on improving constipation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

You probably have an anal fissure precipitated by constipation and which is causing the symptoms. Please discuss with a dietitian and your doctor on measures to improve constipation. You can switch to high fiber foods and stool softeners and avoid processed foods. Please have adequate ampount of fluids every day. Laxatives might help for a short time but their use for more than few weeks is to be avoided unless recommedned by your doctor. It is also important to have regular bowel habits and you try and emty your bowels early in the morning every day.

Anal fissure is treated surgically and this is recommended only in severe cases.

Hope your query is answered.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
If I don't have a bowel movement tomorrow even with all the laxatives would you recommend an enema? Also, back in Feb I had a small patch of skin removed containg XXXXXXX carcinoma from an old sunburn. They said they excised it all and there were no roots. Is it a possibility that they missed a tiny piece and it is now the mild haziness seen on the side of the rectal serosa and in the fat strand tissue. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can try an enema but make sure you are not having pain and distension

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

You can try an enema but make sure that you are not having any severe pain in abdomen, rectal bleeding and distension.

The patch of skin removed in february can cause an appearance similar to fat stranding due to healing, it is recommended that you discuss the images with your doctor to know if it is due to the old scan from the procedure or anything recent and relevant to the anal fissure.

Hope your query is answered.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 28 hours later
Can pain from an anal fissure be 24/7 Pain. The pain I aM having and the burning is incredible...Seems to be aggravated by walking or sitting and at night its even worse...Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anal fissure pain is during and after passing bowel movements

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

The pain in anal fissure is usually during and after passing bowel movements. It is not there all the time.

If you have a continuous pain in the anal region then please get examined clinically for the possibility of a perianal abscess.

Hope your query is answered.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
What is a perianal abcess...The pain is worse at night but I am now having regular bowel movements with regular laxatives and stool softeners and the pain does not increase before or after BM..There is no visible evidence of blood in the stool. Your thoughts
Brief Answer:
Probably there is mild infection around the anal region

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Good to know your bowel movements are getting regular without much pain.

Perianal abscess is a mild ainfection around the anal region . It is also sometimes called as perineal abscess. This can be similar to the sunburn which you had earlier.

Alternatively, you have said earlier that there was pain for 2 hours after bowel movements and probably that is now gone but mild pain is felt at night. This might refer to a healing anal fissure.

Hope your query is answered.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
The sunburned area I had removed in Feb was XXXXXXX cell carcinoma. on the lower back..Are you suggesting that this could be the same thing inside the anal canal?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Basal cell carcinoma is less likely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

Basal cell carcinoma is less likely since there is no mention of a definite problem in the CT scan. However there is some fat stranding which can be seen in mild inflammation. It is recommended that you discuss the CT scan with the doctor who treated you for basal cell carcinoma.

Hope your query is answered.

Regards.