• question-icon

What do enlarged lymph nodes in the cheeks?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Cancer
Question: hello Dr. XXXXXXX

my niece has been reported with some lymphs in her cheek. could you take a look at the attached reports and advise the course of action?

- Thanks, Arvind.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please upload the reports

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Do you mean lymph nodes or glands enlarged in the neck? I couldn't find any attachments. Please upload the reports here or email to YYYY@YYYY . Then I will be able to explain it to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Reports attached.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Appears to be benign lymph nodes

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the reports. There are nodules in right parotid gland (wrongly mentioned as thyroid gland) with associated lymph nodes. Lymph nodes can normally be bit enlarged in this age group. As the FNAC is showing lymphoid hyperplasia (benign), it is reassuring.

However, if on follow up, the nodes enlarge further, then excision biopsy of lymph node will be required (taking out a node in operation theater under anesthesia).

Hopefully that won't be required.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 10 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX I had emailed all reports to the customer care. Can you pls have a look and share your advice ?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Already replied

Detailed Answer:
I have already gone through blood, MRI and FNAC reports and replied. It can be found just above this reply. Have you sent any more reports after that? In that case I have to enquire with customercare.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
I sent 4 reports. 2 PDF files and 3 pictures.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Already replied after seeing these reports

Detailed Answer:
ATTACHING MY REPLY AGAIN..

Hopefully that won't be required.

have you gone through all the reports ? I had sent 4 documents to customer care.....2 PDF files and 2 pictures. I have attached few more questions.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answers to those questions are given below

Detailed Answer:
Yes, I had already reviewed all the reports. I have gone through those questions you attached.

Basically, the query is what to do with the cheek lymph node. There are two options. One, to take it out by operation and submit for biopsy. That will put an end to all the dilemma. You will be sure that it is not lymphoma.

Second, as the FNAC is not suggestive of lymphoma, we leave it for now. If it increases on follow up, then do the biopsy. This approach is also ok, but strict follow-up needs to be done.

Hope this helps. Let me now if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
biopsy has been done and I have sent you the report. Can you pls have a relook?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is FNAC

Detailed Answer:
What has been done is FNAC (cytology). it is not biopsy. What I mean by biopsy is taking out the entire lymph node/lump by surgery and examining it entirely under microscope. Also known as excision biopsy. Only that can conclusively rule out lymphoma.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist