Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

What could the symptoms such as constant lightheadness, nausea and neck pain indicate?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6487 Questions
Hi there I have been suffering lightneadness, and am getting very concerned. I seem to have constant lighheadness when moving or not moving even it is worse when standing and I dont mean just standing up. I mean I can be standing for 5-10 mins and then feel worse, so dont think it is a drop in BP upon standing up. walking I feel like I am drunk Sometimes I get a headache but not always and if I do its a dull annoying ache that does not stop me from doing anything. I had a CT scan which revelaved bone spurs on my neck, was not getting any neck pain at that time... but am now. Today I was stading taking to a friend and had to hold onto a wall I had a second blackout its a terrible feeling. wave of nausea, could not breath and blacked out. Also very tired. I am on 10mg Endep and 5mg of Coverram, oh and when I have these eposoides which are all the time I have checked my BP and BSL and get reading of 120/75 on average for BP and 5-6 for BSL. so that is all good... I am really concerend about stroke, brain issues or heart issues I have a dance concert this coming week and I am concerned about passing out on stage PLEASE HELP ME I am deperate my GP is out of ideas. I do have a nurologist appointment but not for another couple of weeeks. So symptoms are mostly constant lightheadness, nausea almost all the time, neck pain 80% of time and headache 20% its the lightheadness I am concerned about.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Your problem may be due to inner ear. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Your problem needs proper evaluation. You should be properly examined and investigated. Your symptoms may be due to inner ear problem or other causes of lightheadedness like hypertension,hypotension,Diabetes mellitus,Dehydration,medicines,positional vertigo etc. Most likely you have problem in inner ear so you should get examined by ENT specialist. Benign positional paroxysmal vertigo (BPPV) is ruled out as you don't have any problem related to position. Bony spur(Osteophytes) in cervical spine may also cause similar symptoms.So,MRI cervical spine should be done so that proper evaluation can be done. Now,you are complaining of TIA(Transient ischemic attack) like symptoms so Doppler of carotid vessels should also be done. Besides this,you need routine investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile, Thyroid profile,ECG in all leads, CT Scan of Brain. Further investigations can be done if needed. Treatment depends upon clinical findings and investigation reports. Neck pain should be first managed by physiotherapy and exercises. Further treatment depends upon MRI findings. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What could the symptoms such as constant lightheadness, nausea and neck pain indicate? 12 hours later
when i had my CT scan it did not find any inner ear issues GP said it checked that and my spine, neck, and brain only found the spurs. eariler this year i had ultrasound of heart and a stress test on heart all good. i have had various blood tests checking thyoid, vit B levels etc, just about everything i think that can be tested in a blood test and all good vit D low was all it found... hence why you can see my GP is a bit baffled but i need to get to bottom of it ASAP. I personaly am thinking the neck issues with the spurs but i could be way of the mark all i know if i need to find out cause and fix it am over it its really depressing being sick all the time
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Clinical examinatiuon and MRI is best for innerear Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing back CT scan is not the ideal investigation for inner ear problems. Firstly, you should be examined by ENT specialist. If needed,MRI of inner ear is the investigation of choice . If there is any bony involvement of ear then HRCT should be done. Osteophytes and spondylotic changes in cervical spine can also cause similar problems from that you are suffering.So,MRI of cervical spine should be done to see any nerve compression due to osteophytes or intervertebral disc. Vitamin D deficiency is common among ladies.You can take Vitamin D preparation available in sachets. One XXXXXXX has to be taken with XXXXXXX warm milk at bedtime for eight weeks. Then one XXXXXXX should be taken on monthly basis for three months. You should also go for sunlight exposure and drink milk. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor