What could cause pain in left side after weight loss surgery?

Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had pain in my left side for a few hours now. You know when your running and get a cramp on your side? That is what it feels like but worse and constant pain. Thoughts? No heavy lifting, no gas, I am a weight loss surgery patient.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There could be many causes.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing your problem with us.

Yes, you are right, this could be a muscular problem, but, there could be many other reasons for this pain depending upon the exact site for example: Ovarian cyst accidents, ectopic pregnancy in females & many other reasons that are common for both sexes like diverticulitis, ulcers, perforations, stones, obstructions and problem in virtually any organ from skin to internal viscera.
The best way to sort this out is to visit a doctor & get yourself examined. The doctor will do a thorough systemic review, local examination & may be some related tests like ultrasound to pinpoint the actual problem.
If there is no chance of pregnancy you may use ordinary pain killers like paracetamol or Ibuprofen if you have no known contra-indication to them.
Hope you get well soon.