What causes white residue around the head of penis?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor
I have white residue around my penis and it's underskin I wash it everytime but when I pull the underskin back I have painful sensation and white residue again. Also, I see that the tip of my penis is having hard rashes. Please help, right now I'm using antifungal cream ketoconazole. Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
That is Smegma which is a normal secretion.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem is most likely Smegma which is a normal secretion from under skin. Fungal infection is common in this if you don't clean it regularly. Avoid soaps and irritants to wash the area as it may give irritation and pain. You can use saline or warm water for washing.

If there is foul smell and itching then it can be due to fungal infection and in such case ointments with combination of antifungal like miconazole and corticosteroid like flucinolone will be helpful. Rashes you see can be most likely Fordyce spots and for that taking more anti oxidants and garlic will be helpful.

If you want to get rid off it completely then better to go for circumcision.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Thanks doctor. As I told you I'm using antifungal fungal cream ketoconazole is this fine would u prescribe any other? Hope the slight cut on the overlay of penis caused by itching will also b cured by the cream?
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
miconazole will be more better.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Miconazole will be more better than ketoconazole. If you have cuts I would suggest the combination ointment containing antibiotic also. You can use the one containing anti fungal like miconazole, anti bacterial like gentamycin and corticosteroid like beclamethasone. Or you can use neosporin ointment and miconazole ointment together.

Thanks.