What causes vomiting immediately after eating food?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, my name is XXXX and for about 3 months now I've been vomiting pretty much anytime I eat, even when I haven't eaten anything prior. It especially happens early in the morning (most of the time between 2 am and 6 am). I know it's not pregnancy because I have checked and I use almost every prevention there is, plus I'm loosing weight and only seem to have an appetite when I am under the influence (no hard drugs). What do you think that could possibly be?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This could be an H pylori stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX.

Were I your doctor, I would screen you for an H pylori bacterial stomach infection, and if that were positive, I would treat you with a course of two antibiotics.

That said, there are other possible causes like gastroparesis--a slowly emptying stomach-liver and kidney conditions, an obstructing peptic ulcer, or--not likely here--a brain tumor.

For now I would send you to a gastroenterologist for further evaluation

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ralph Chambers 24 minutes later
Ok that's helpful. I have lost 15 pounds within 3 weeks and I haven't been working out. Is this something I should be concerned by?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is worrisome that you're losing weight

Detailed Answer:
I hope you have been able to keep something down in the way of food and liquids.

For now, assuming either an H pylori infection or gastroparesis, I suggest a soft diet with frequent meals throughout the day--soups, broths, toast, bananas, nuts, Ensure or Boost if needed, etc.