What causes vaginal spotting after taking Unwanted 72?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: 24yr girl had unprotected sex on 24th XXXXXXX it was her 5th day of menses.bf ejaculated so she took unwanted 72within2hrs after act.afterwards on 29th XXXXXXX she had spotting .and on 30th XXXXXXX she had bleeding which lasted for 5days. She not have her menses yet.plz help. Is this sign of pregnancy?
Is she pregnant. Plz help about this.plz.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of pregnancy. Bleeding due to unwanted pill.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to suggest you the best possible treatment options.

1 ) First of all do not panic.

2 ) in a woman with regular cycles day 10 to 20 of the cycle is the most fertile period of cycle. If unprotected sex act occurs in this period, then there is possibility of getting pregnant.

3 ) As in this case unprotected sex act occurred on day 5 of the cycle, and she also took emergency contraceptive pill, the chances of getting pregnant are almost nil.

4 ) The bleeding episodes that she had experienced can be due to high doses of progesterone hormone contained in the emergency pill. This pill is known to cause erratic bleeding pattern, it can cause very scanty or heavy bleeding or very early or delayed bleeding.

5 ) If there is any doubt , I will suggest to get morning's first sample of urine tested for pregnancy. If it is negative then you can wait for the onset of periods.

I hope this answer helps you.

Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 3 hours later
but is she pregnant??? when her menses will come plz tell me . withdrawal bleeding is this sign of pregnancy. sorry for inconvenience.
at which day she have to do upt test.plz help sir plz
is it okk if it will done day after tomorrow. plz tell me.
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
UPT can be done now.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

Please do not panic.

As she had an episode of 5 days bleeding from XXXXXXX 30, it is almost a month back.
So it is advisable to get morning's first sample of urine tested for pregnancy on August 2 or 3.

I suppose there was no unprotected sex activity in the month of July, after the 5 days bleeding episode had occurred. If not, chances of she being pregnant are almost nil.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to communicate about this , if needed.

Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 25 hours later
hello sir. that 24yr girl started bleeding from today's evening. now is this ok?? is she pregnant or not???
is her menses bleeding or anything else????
she said she's having normal bleeding like her menses
but plz help answe me is she pregnant or not
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's okay. she is not pregnant.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

In my opinion, it is alright to have started with the bleeding.

She is not pregnant any way.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee