What causes vaginal bleeding and fatigue with fever?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I ve had vaginal bleeding for the past two days. I m 47 and have not had a period for 14 months. The bleeding is light but continious and is red in color not as if I were on my period. I have no pain but am concerened by the bleeding, I m very tired i sleep and can go right back to sleep for hours. I ve had a slight fever
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Basically, you are having post menopausal bleeding, since absence of periods for more than a year is technically menopause.
The reason could be something as simple as atrophic vaginitis - dryness and increased fragility of the local tissues due to menopause.
However, other conditions such as a cervical lesion, polyp etc should be ruled out.
Please sleep right now, if you are tired, and just wear a sanitary pad.
But schedule an appointment with your OB - GYN and have an internal exam, Pap smear and pelvic ultrasound scan.
That should reveal the diagnosis.
While the bleeding is not life threatening or lethal, it should be investigated, that is all.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.