What causes vaginal bleeding after intercourse?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hi I had finished my period 10 days ago.I had sex last night with my husband and after I started bleeding a light red colour and now today it's a bright red I have been having cramps a couple of days before and I still have them. I could I be pregnant
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is too early to say.

Detailed Answer:

If you have regular ovulatory cycles and if you are ovulating right now, then yes, you have every chance of conception. It is too early to detect pregnancy now. You should wait for at least ten more days to get a blood test for pregnancy.

Bleeding after an intercourse can be due to trauma due to rough intercourse, cervical and vaginal lesions and infections.

As you continue to see the bleeding, I suggest that you see a specialist for a clinical exam. You may need styptics to control the bleeding and if necessary, hormones.

Cramps are a vague symptom and can indicate ovulation and tubal movement. They can also occur with infection.

Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact if you need more clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari