What causes vaginal bleeding after having Loestrin?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 2 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I took 2 lo loestrin tabs one last sun & one on tues then stopped would that cause me to bleed yesterday. I just finished my period last Sunday. Or could it be a ruptured cyst? The blood is darker than my period.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be withdrawal bleeding.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The bleeding from vagina is not likely to be from a ruptured cyst. A ruptured cyst causes a bleeding inside the abdomen and is associated with an acute pain in the lower abdomen.
Just 2 tablets of loestrin can cause a mild withdrawal bleeding. The dark colored blood that you are having could be due to a left over blood from your last period.
If there is no associated pain in the abdomen and the bleeding is not severe then there is no need to worry. You can wait for it to stop spontaneously in next 2-3 days. In case the bleeding persists or becomes heavier then do consider visiting your gynecologist for proper investigations and treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Thank you Dr. I do have lower abdominal pain, ovarian area on left side is tender but yes i do have abdominal pain.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to ovarian cyst rupture.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If there is a pain in the area of left ovary then a ruptured cyst needs to be ruled out after an ultrasound scan - TVS. Do attend an ER and avoid taking any pain killers for symptomatic relief as this can aggravate bleeding.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.