What causes twitching sensation in the fingers, hands and legs?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Thu, 25 May 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been experiencing random "twitching" with my extremeties. My fingers, my hands, my leg, my arm, even in my buttock area. I'm not sure what's going on but I am very scared. I started a new medication which I thought might be the cause, called Gabutentin 600 mg. I also have severe lumbar spinal stenosis, for which I am taking Norco 10/325mg 1 tab qid prn pn, Ibuprofen 600 mg 1 tab tid prn pn, and Robaxin 750 mg 1 tab tid prn muscle spasm. I'm really scared and don't know what to do. I have anxiety for which I've been treated with xanax but I have not taken that in some time as I ran out of the medication and was in another state when I was treated for that.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gabapentin can cause muscle spasms and twitching

Detailed Answer:
Thank You for trusting HealthcareMagic,

Gabapentin especially when co-administered with opioid medications like Norco have been known to cause muscle twitching. Discontinuing Gabapentin will stop the muscle twitching in 2-3 days.
Cutting down caffeine intake, adequate rest, and sleep, reducing anxiety will also hep relieve the twitching

If the twitching does not subside after few days of stopping Gabapentin, then other causes should be looked for.

Some causes of twitching include increased thyroid hormone levels, Vitamin D, calcium, and magnesium deficiency, anxiety, stress, excess intake of caffeine, neurological problems like benign fasciculation syndrome etc. Further testing including blood levels of thyroid hormone, calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and Electromyographic studies may also be needed.

Please be advised to contact your treating physician in order to discontinue Gabapentin and see if this helps.

Hope I was able to help you.
Please feel free to address further questions here.

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee