What causes twitching in palm and pain in left thumb?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi, I can see strange palpitations on my left palm. Please help
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Provide additional information

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
I like to know few more information
1. You mean to say fasciculation or twitching of the palm.
2. Your age and sex
3. Since when you are having this problem?
4. Is there any pain, history of injury?
5. Is there any swelling?
6. Are suffering from any other medical illness like diabetes?
7. Do you smoke?

Kindly provide this additional information, I'll be glad to help you out.
Hey back to us when this information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 22 minutes later
Exactly that is what I am trying to say. I am 35 male. I am facing this problem since last three days.I have pain in my left thumb as I fell down in my bathroom almost a month ago and I landed on the back of my left thumb. And I have pain near the left elbow for the same reason. There is no swelling. I had cervical spondylitis until October 2015. Then I had an x ray done and it showed spasm / stiffness in the muscles. I have never smoked or done alcohol but I went to a friend and he was smoking weed and I think his smoke indirectly affected me. I felt dizzy for a few moments but I was fine in no time. I didn't do weed. Please help
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Might be as result of fatigue.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome
Good to hear from you

Muscle spasms and twitching are most commonly the result of muscle fatigue. For example, if you are right handed and are using your hand a lot for writing or other repetitive tasks, this is likely the cause of the twitching. And this does not require much further thought except to try to rest your hands more!

On the other hand, if you have additional concerning symptoms, such as numbness or tingling in the fingers or hand, or if the hand actually feels weak or uncoordinated, then these could be signs of a more serious nerve problem in the hand, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, and this should be evaluated by your doctor as soon as possible.

But in your case I feel it is due to fatigue, try to give it rest for day or two and observe.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar