What causes throat irritation with feeling of lump in throat?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 8 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have couple of issues.

A. From couple of years I have throat irritation..

1. It feel like a lump in my throat
2. Feeling of hair stuck in throat
3. Feeling of discomfort around adam's apple area
4. Urge to swallow

when i have some food (Hot, cold) or liquid (Hot, cold) it does not feel anything, no pain at all, the irritation starts when my mouth or throat becomes dry...
I used to work in a BPO night shift and had to take calls and be on conference calls all the time, during my end shift time in morning i get this irritation in throat.. Due to busy nature of my job i ignored this now as i am out of BPO role i thought of getting this treated.

B. Also in my childhood days when i was 14-15yrs I climb a tree and accidentally slipped and feel by head on a big stone, I was unconscious for some hrs, there was blood clot in my head, stayed in hospital for some days, got all scans done and got it treated but later on after few days i sense that both my ears was ringing... when i keep both hands on my ear it rings. So I went to ENT doctor and took some medicines and got it treated.

But now again it started 3-4 months back.

C. Couple of years back when I open my mouth and on the extreme left and right sides i see a white calculi popping, so i squeezed it out. I did a bit of researched online and come to know that its tonsil stones or tonsillar calculi.
A year by i noticed that this tonsil stone also comes from deep in my throat, because it also causes same irritation, to get this stone out i have to suck the vacuum/air in my throat, after repeated attempts in couple of days and it does comes out.

So, initially i relate this lump in my throat to this tonsil stones...

Yesterday I went to a ENT specialist and got it diagnosed.

Before that I did an online research and found that my lump is throat is because of Globus Pharyngis or Globus sensation

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/globus-sensation-pro

And for the ringing in my ears i found that medically its termed as Tinnitus.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tinnitus/basics/symptoms/con-0000

My Doctor observations:

The doctor checked my nose and ears and throat and suggested these test

1. VL Scopy, Diagnostic Nasal Endoscopy
2. TE O.A.E; Impedence Audiometry; Pure Tone Audiometry
3. CT Scan Nose & PNS plain (Data acquisition in axial plane entire skull in 1mm contiguous cuts & give in CD). Reconstruct the coronal cuts - Print film in coronal plane 3mm interval + 2 parasagital cuts.

I got the 1 and 2 test done and I am attaching the reports for your evaluation.

After checking the reports of 1 & 2 test doctor told me that I have infection in my left ear and in throat and also told me that I have sinusitis and suggested these medicines.

1. Tab Esofag 40mg ( For gases )
2. Ciprofloxin 500mg (For bacterial infection )
3. Multivitamin (AEOVIT D3)
4. Tab Nukast ( For respiratory infections )
5. SYNOX Nasal Drop
6. Steam Halations
7. Nasonex Nasal spray

I still have to take the CT scan...but I am think of getting the CT scan of temporal bone or head / CT of throat instead of the CT scan suggested BY THE doctor.

I think doctor is NOT fully not able to understand my problem and the situation that I am in.

Also, I think the medicines prescribed by the doctor will not cure the problem I am having now.

So, I want to know if CT scan is really required, do i really need to go through radiation

Will these medicines cure my problem..

Or Is there any other test which I can go through..

Please review and suggest.

Thank for your time.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Your symptoms and signs are consistent with a chronic laryngitis, granular pharyngitis and reflux. It takes 8 to 12 weeks of continuous treatment for improvement.

2. The old head injury does not seem to have caused any sensorineural hearing loss. You have normal hearing in the right ear and mild conductive hearing loss in the left ear with a type 'B' tympanogram that denotes fluid accumulation in the middle ear secondary to an Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). This may be the cause of the Tinnitus. First the above must be treated and then, only if the Tinnitus persists, must other treatments for Tinnitus be tried.

3. There may be sinusitis, which is easily picked up by the CT PNS. If you want to do all three scans, get an MRI Scan done which can cover all these areas at one time and avoid unnecessary radiation. If there is an abnormality detected in some area, limited CT cuts can be taken of those areas.

4. The above medication is more or less fine. I recommend that you use the Synox nasal drops sparingly. Use a medicated gargle. A bland diet is required for a few weeks. We can review the medication if there is no improvement.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.