What causes discomfort in throat after eating?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 17 Jan 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been getting the sensation after eating that sonething is stuck in my throat.
It happens often and the feeling lingers or stays for a while.
I may even get that feeling unrelated to eating almost like a closing of throat that I had once with allergic reaction feeling is in lower below neck and can be as low as sternum

I am 44 been under lots of stress lately too
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux or globus pharyngis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query.

The symptoms described by you are the features of Laryngo-pharyngeal reflux (LPR) secondary to Gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD) or globus pharyngis. Stress is a major factor in inducing the acid reflux as well as causes tightening of the neck muscles. Do not worry! Both are treatable causes, with appropriate measures and medications this problem can be taken care of.

My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water.
2. Try taking proton pump inhibitors (such as esomeprazole or pantoperazole) and a prokinetic (such as domperidone or metachlopromide) for at least 3-4 months.
3. Avoid coffee/tea/spicy food/fizzy drinks/chilled food & beverages/smoking if any.
4. Avoid lying down immediately after taking the food.
5. Take a good breakfast, moderate lunch and a light dinner.
6. Avoid stress; exercise regularly.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj