What causes the yellow discoloration of the tongue?
ive also notice im beginning to bruise easy. last time i had blood work done the white blood cell count was elevated. i also have bad heartburn but thinkin this could be from the pepcid pill i take every morning i have stopped taking it now for a week.
... what could this be?
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic
The yellow discoloration of the tongue is likely due to oral yeast infection.
This is the most common cause.
Though the brushing is important, treatment requires the use of an oral antifungal for complete resolution.
Treatment: (1) avoid a high sugar diet because this can worsen it
(2)medication such as nystatin oral suspension or clotrimazole troche can be used , obtained with prescription from your doctor
(3)if there is no response then tablets such as fluconazole or sporanox may be needed
Pepcid is not one of the medications that is associated with this infection. It can be seen with oral steroids or the inhaled steroids used in asthma.
Also noted in diabetics , persons on other immune suppressing medication, HIV, related to oral mouth care.
The white cell count would be elevated in any inflammatory/infectious process, so this infection would cause an increase.
It would not be related to bruising however, this would be related to the platelet count which was normal in your test.
If the bruising continues or there is any prolonged bleeding then may also need tests to check for the levels of clotting factors.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
need an antifungal for resolution
Anti fungals like the ones mentioned are needed to treat it, does not resolve in its own . They are not usually over the counter but you can ask at your local pharmacy to see if one of them is available there.
It would not be considered an emergency so you do not need to go to see your doctor immediately but you can make an appointment to see him/her
Please feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sweets cause yellow tongue
- Side of my tongue looks yellow what is the cause
- What causes yellow discoloration to the tongue
- What causes black tongue discoloration
- What is the cause of yellow and swollen tongue
- What is the cause of a yellow furry tongue
- Cause of yellow coated tongue
- Cause of yellow tongue meth
- What would cause yellow spot on tongue
- Cause of yellow tongue tasteless
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...