What causes the presence of epithelial cells in urine?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Delivered baby normal 3 months ago and got urine infection for 10 days n took antibiotics n after dat took culture test n result came no organisms found, after dat I feel very light sensation before urinate, urine comes normal flow n time, but I don’t feel urgency to urinate,2weeks before again I took urine culture and routine test everything normal nly epithelial cells hpf is above 25, my gyno said not to worry n she ask me to take cranberry tablet but still in having the same problem ,
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please narrate yur urinary problem

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

You had a UTI after delivery but your routine urine test and urine culture revealed no growth of any organisms .

Your recent urine examination has revealed presence of 5 epithelial cells .

I shall be happy if you can post me more details to help me in making precise comments
1) What is your urinary problem ?

Presence of plenty of epithelial cells indicate shading off of epithelial cells in response to chronic infection.However there is nothing to be worried about as there is no evidence of active infection.

Taking urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin along with urinary alkalizer Citralka twice daily for two weeks will help to resolve the issue .

Ensure to drink more water to keep your urine dilute .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Nothing disturbing me more, only I don’t feel to urge to go to toilet before urinating, some time if I’ feel dehydrate day time I feel very mild feel in urethra upper,how many days I have to continue citralka,thank you so much for your reply,
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take it for a week.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

You have to ensure to drink more water to keep yourself well hydrated.Take Citralka for a week .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil