• question-icon

Suggest remedy for pins and needles in fingers and face and swollen eyelids after taking nitrofurantoin for cystitis

I am a 55 year old woman who was prescribed nitrofurantoin for cystitis . I stopped taking it after 2 days because of pain in legs. 24 hors later I started having pins and needles in my fingers and my face and this has continued for 2 days . My eyelids are also swollen. Will this get better on its own or do I need to see a doctor?
Fri, 18 Oct 2019

It seems like hypersensitivity to Nitrofurantoin. You have to take loratadine 10 mg for some days, do not use anymore this medication, and consult with your doctor for another antibiotic to treat UTI. If you have difficulty breathing go to ER.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Blerina Pasho, General & Family Physician