What causes tenderness in testicle and epididymis?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am concerned about what I am feeling in my testicles. I try to examine them regularly. I recently noticed a tenderness in the left scrotum but I am pretty sure I am feeling the epididymis. Is it natural for it to be tender to touch? The right one doesn't feel as tender. Sometimes I feel this tenderness in my groin and even left leg. This has been going on for several days...could it be that I just keep aggravating it by touching it so much?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Varicocele can be palpated and give such symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Testicle and epidydymis are quite tender indeed. However you can not cause the pain by regular examining this area. And epidydymis are much more tender when an inflammation of this area is present.
If you are able to palpate noodles like structures attached to epidydymis, varicocele (varices of spermatic cord) are very probable.
Both conditions should be treated. I suggest you to consult urologist with this problem. Testicle ultrasound should be done to diagnose the reason.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.