• question-icon

What causes tarry stools while treating diverticulitis?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am being treated for diverticulitis-second time since January.I am finishing round two of levaquin,flagyl,Prilosec,cola England.My constipation and pain are better-but now stools are tarry black-taking probiotics for gut for a week
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for a test called stool for occult blood.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details and I appreciate your concerns.

As per your query answers are-
There are two possibilities if the color of stool is like Tar.

1) Bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract that takes place in the esophagus, stomach, or the first part of the small intestine and most often causes the stool to appear black or tarry. When blood is lost from upper gastrointestinal tract it comes in contact with digestive enzymes and acid in the stomach which gives blood black color like tar.

2) Most cases of black stools are from eating or drinking black foods or iron supplements.You are having cola which can cause stool color to change it may also be a side effect(rare) of antibiotics you are on.

So initially we have to be sure whether the black color is due to blood or not for this you should go for a test called stool for occult blood.

If this test is positive then we need to go for endoscopy test to see the site of bleeding however in case test for occult blood is negative there is no need to worry as in that scenario change in color is due to medicine or food.

Hope I answered your query.
Please feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist