What causes swollen vaginal lips along with red spots on vaginal area?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 9 Feb 2015 in Women's Health
Question: history of uti's, yeast. bacterial vaginal infections. A week ago I began to have vaginal issues. I have extremely swollen vaginal lips turning black, red spots, veins inside showing, and open sores. scared herpes, hoping other please.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Moderately severe Vulvovaginitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam.

I understand your query and concern. I have gone through uploaded image.

This is probably a clinical scenario of sequel to vulvovaginal candidiasis/Moniliasis. It is unlikely to be herpes as it presents with grouped extremely painful vesicles.

Candidiasis is extremely common in women with past history of bacterial vaginosis. Recent sexual exposure might have probably flared up the yeast infection.

Topical yeast creams will not alone suffice. You need systemic anti fungal therapy in the form of tab Fluconazole 150 mg once a day for 7 days. It's a prescription only medicine which your local doctor will know. This will have excellent results.

Many of the changes on the vulva will revert with this treatment.

Please note the above drug has to be taken under strict medical prescription.

Post your further queries,if any.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad