What causes swelling in feet, ankles and legs?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What is causing the terribly swollen feet, ankles and legs? It's lasted all summer so I thought it was cause by heat. But its very cool here in XXXXXXX now and my swelling has not gone down. The ankles and legs are painful as well.

I'm a 65 year old working court reporter who does not have diabetes. My doctor did put me on a water pill I take everyday. But I'm worried about this painful swelling and the doctor appointment I made is not until Oct. 12th You know what this might be?
Oh my email address is: YYYY@YYYY My name is XXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cellulitis, Thyroid problems, limb elevation and foot movements important

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

You may be having Thyroid problem for which you need to get your Thyroid hormone levels assessed by blood tests. Get Serum ESR done to look for chronic inflammation in your body. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol as these can also contribute to this problem. Apply hot packs. Flex your feet and ankles regularly when you are sitting for long hours. Water pill taken for a long time can be dangerous to the kidneys. Kindly get your urine function tests done to look for the cause and any damage.
Painful swelling can also be due to inflammation like Cellulitis. If it is hot to touch, apply ice. Show to a Surgeon as soon as possible in this case. Get Your cloud count done to rule out infection.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar