What causes swallowing difficulty with dry eyes and mouth?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a problem swallowing it seems to be a big effort and sometimes dry type foods bread etc. need to be washed down with water. My eyes mouth and down my throat feel as though they lack moisture. I have a poor appetite. This is happening every few weeks not every day. Lasts for a few days or week. Sometimes I feel a bit nauseated and unpleasant after taste to food. I often get a croaky voice and find trying to clear it feels like the mucus is dryish and difficult to clear. It does finally clear (a few minutes) I am 74 have to take thyroxine daily and take micardis blood pressure daily. I have some good days and bad days. Seems more bad/tired days than good I do not sleep well, my weight is stable about 63ks and 170 tall.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Appears to be Sjogrens syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. It appears you are having Sjogrens syndrome. It is an autoimmune disorder which affects the glands secreting tears and saliva. Due to this, you are having dry eyes and dry mouth.
2. Schirmer test for eyes and a sialogram for salivary glands can confirm the diagnosis. Antibodies testing and biopsy may also be necessary.
3. Treatment will depend on the amount of damage. Early stages, immune modifiers like chloroquine or methotrexate may be prescribed. To increase salivary gland secretions, pilocarpine can be used. Artificial tears can be used for eyes.

It is an autoimmune disorder and can be commonly associated with Hashimotos thyroiditis or rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

Meet your doctor for tests and prescription.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM