What causes joints pain in the hands, toes and feet?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
The joints in my hands have become very painful. Only my left thumb swells (I'm right handed) and does not have full movement. this has been going on for abt 3 weeks. Now the joints in my toes and feet are starting to get the same type of pain.
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be poly arthralgia.

Detailed Answer:
Repeated joint pains can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being poly arthralgia. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal