What causes sudden weight gain when diagnosed with MGUS in an elderly person?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I am 62 years old and was diagnosed with MGUS two years ago. At the very early start of my diagnosis i gained almost 40 lbs in six weeks. Then for some reason I lost a lot of it and went back to my normal weight. Now two year later I am going thru the same scenario in that six months ago I weighed 214 lbs and now for some reason I have gained 20 lbs in about five months. My eating habits have not changed. I very concerned and confused.
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should check your thyroid hormones level.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

Your weight changes are not related to your MGUS. In MGUS patients remains mostly asymptomatic and after disease progress it may leads to weight loss. But increase and decrease in weight are commonly due to thyroid problems.

You should go for T3, T4 and TSH level. It will give you exact diagnosis. Then take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana