• question-icon

What causes sudden weight gain, abdominal distension and ankle swelling?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: My husband who is 58 years old is recently experiencing sudden weight gain and a distended stomach. He also has swollen ankles and feet. He took a diarehetic from a health food store but found that made him constipated. After he stopped the diarehetic, the sudden weight gain and distended stomach occurred.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advise to follow up with a primary care provider for further evaluation .

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Sudden weight gain along with distended abdomen and ankle/feet swelling indicates that there is fluid collection in the body.
It is highly unlikely due to constipation.
The conditions that are of concern here are liver/kidney/cardiac dysfunction causing build up of water in the body.

Thorough physical examination ,liver function tests, renal function test, EKG and Echocardiogram are all recommended.

Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider as soon as possible for further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 42 minutes later
When he was taking the diarehetic, he became constipated so he stopped taking it suddenly. Can this cause the build up fluid in the body as a "rebound" effect?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Constipation as a result of stopping medication can cause mild abdominal bloating, but it will not cause abdominal distention, weight gain, and ankle swelling.

Your husband's symptoms are suggestive of significant fluid build up/ edema which is beyond what could be explained by constipation alone.
Please be advised to follow up with a primary to rule out the conditions I mentioned in above answer

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal