• question-icon

What causes sudden swelling and hardness in jaws near the cheekbone?

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: 30 years ago one side of my face swelled up- In the time it took to put boots and a jacket on, run down 5 flights and 3 blocks to the hospital, the swelling was so great that I could not see out of my left eye, and was having difficulty breathing. They gave me a shot of adrenilin, and instructed me to milk the areas lymph, all the time.

Today at 2:20 pm, as I was getting ready to leave my Mom and fly back. We ran around doing errands and I was tired. I ate a sandwich...and suddenly the same thing, but not as profound. The area which swelled and got hard was the area from my jaw, halfway up my cheekbone , to 2 inches above the ear.
I took benadryl w/acetominophen, which seemed to help, but after 4 hours, it came back again to a lesser extent- the area was swollen again 1/2 hour ago, but is tender now.

At 6 am I am supposed to take 3 planes- here to XXXXXXX to XXXXXXX to St. XXXXXXX leaving at 6 am and arriving in St. XXXXXXX at 9 pm. Should I be ok to fly or not?

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME BEFORE i HAVE TO LEAVE AT 4am FOR THE AIRPORT.!!! i AM DRINKING HOT TEA, GARGLING WITH SALT WATER, AND i TOOK MY SECOND ROUND OF BENEDRYL PILLS, AND THE SWELLING WENT DOWN AGAIN.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Should go to ER before leaving

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I've just received your message and wanted to mail ASAP.

You are going through an allergy reaction. Need immediate medical assistance as adrenaline shot should be administered or steroid shot at least to help.you through the trip.

Continue taking Benadryl and do not eat any fast food until you land and consult with your doctor there.

All the best!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini