What causes sudden onset of hoarseness of voice?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My voice has been sounding hoarse since yesterday. I don't have a sore throat and it doesn't hurt when I when I swallow. No trouble breathing either. Other than the hoarseness I haven't had any other symptoms. Also, I haven't recently been shouting or straining my vocal cords more than usual. Please let me know what the most likely cause is and how to treat it.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection of the larynx or acid reflux disease...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The acute onset of hoarseness could be due to inflammation of the vocal cords. Inflammation could be either due to acute viral infection or acid reflux from the stomach into the throat.

Do not worry! You can try the following home remedies.

1. Drink plenty of warm water - this reduces the congestion around the vocal cords.
2. Do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day for 2 -3 minutes. Steam is the treatment of choice for reduce the edema over the vocal cords.
3. Maintain absolute voice rest for at least a week.
4. Avoid coffee/smoking/chilled food and beverages.

If you don't get better with the above measures, consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query. Revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist