What causes sudden onset of choking sensation at night in a 2 month old?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: occasionally throughout the night my two month old will sound as though he is choking or gagging. it'll last a few minutes and then he'll look sound asleep. what could be causing this?
Answered by Dr. Arun 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be Reflux

Detailed Answer:
Hi
From your description especially in a two month old sudden choking in the night could be because of gastroesophageal Reflux.
The sphincter between the food pipe and stomach is not very tight in the first few months of life.
This results in milk coming out in tiny bursts especially in lying position.
Don't worry it should settle on its own.
Try putting him on your shoulder and XXXXXXX for 15 minutes after each feed.
This will decrease the chances of Reflux.
If symptoms occur frequently then you need to get him evaluated for Reflux.
Medications like domperidone can help to reduce the Reflux symptoms.
Wishing your child good health.
Dr Arun
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology