Owl Image

What causes sudden hearing loss due?

Owl Image
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Question
I have experienced sudden hearing loss due to apparent complications from my eustachian tubes. I woke up over 3 weeks ago in pain in both ears and severe hearing loss. got treated with antiobiotics and now on steroids and my hearing hasn't returned. i have constant ringing and popping. i have had two independent hearing tests done a week apart and my hearing loss is substantial with no end in sight. what can i do?
Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I'll try my best, to help you with this problem.

Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss is an uncommon problem and is usually noticed in elderly individuals.

There is no exact cause of this problem. Various theories have been postulated, of which, viral infection is the most commonly believed cause.

Most of the theories mention about the inflammation over the inner ear nerves as the reason for sudden hearing loss.

This is usually treated with the following regimen:
1. High dose of oral steroids to reduce the inflammation of the nerves.
2. Antacids to combat acidity, when oral steroids are used.
3. Oral vitamin B12, for rejuvenation of the injured nerve.
4. Peripheral micro vasodilator, such as, Betahistine or pentoxyphilline for improving blood circulation to the tiny nerve fibres.
5. Bed rest for few days.
6. Hearing evaluation once in 3 days.
7. Finally, to avoid stress and excess straining.
Your treating doctor will know about this.
With the above measures, most of the individuals do recover completely within a month or two.

Also, MRI of the brain is required to rule out any vascular injury.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes sudden hearing loss due? 16 hours later
Where cN I get betahistine? And b12?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Betahistine is available in various brand names such as betaserc, vertin, betagen, betavert, etc.

Vitamin B12 is available OTC as neurobion, neurorubine forte, etc.

In some countries even Betahistine is available OTC.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon