What does swelling in the ankles after hip replacement surgery indicate?

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a hip replacement 3 months ago and have going to PT. I have no pain but my ankles are slightly swollen and bruised. I am not retaining water.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
elevation , hot massages with topical gels will be helpful otherwise a Doppler U/S to rule out any clot or vascular injury that may cause such swelling .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using healthcaremagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

In my opinion this swelling will go away soon but it may take some time . try to avoid standing or bending your knees for a long time , hot massages with topical gels will help in your bruising and the swelling , elevate your legs above a pillow , wear compression stockings , taking anti edematous drugs like alphintern tabs twice before meals will be effective for most of cases .
If the swelling persists i suggest Doppler U/S on venous system of your lower limb to rule out any vascular injury that prevents your venous blood from going back towards your heart like a minor clot or DVT ( deep vein thrombosis ) for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana