What causes swelling and warmness in the foot?

Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband's right foot is swollen and warm. This was a sudden onset, and he is in pain
Putting weight on it. He has a nasty cold and is also
trying to regulate his INR levels which were extremely high (9.7)and have come down some over the past 24hrs (7.8) by not taking the Coumadin and eating lots of greens. His cardiologist is concerned and tomorrow will test INR again. He does not know about the swelling in the foot since that just became apparent to me tonight. I've been looking on WebMD and noticed that a possible cause could be congestive heart failure?
What do you think? Thank you, XXXXXXX K. @ YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
swelling could be due to a cardiac or a vascular cause , hot massages and elevation will be helpful .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using healthcaremagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

I hope your husbands feel better soon , i think from your given history that he stopped using his coumadin to lower his INR level thus decreasing his blood viscosity .
Swelling could be due to a cardiac problem like congestive heart failure or a vascular problem like a minor clot or a DVT ( deep vein thrombosis ) or even standing or bending his legs for a long time .
For now you may use hot gentle massaging with a topical gel , elevate his swelled leg on a pillow , wearing compression stockings will be helpful .
I recommend you ask your physician for a Doppler U/S on injured lower limb venous system to rule any vascular injury for proper evaluation and management of the underlying cause of swelling .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng