Owl Image

What causes strong urine odor?

Question
I had a sling placed in my vagina in 2005... in 2017 it was taken out. i noticed and other people notice from 2005 that I have a bad (roton urine) smell. If i'm in a room the entire room smell of urine. there are no burning itching at all.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be due to infection, diabet, fistula or "mesh" decomposing

Detailed Answer:
Dear Patient,
Welcome and thank you for your question.

Have you performed urine analysis and blood analysis? you need to do it to check for bacterias. Sometimes bacterias can produce the smell of urine (although you may have had no burning).
I would suggest first a urine analysis and urine culture to check for any anormalities values plus the blood analysis to check for your sugar (glucose level). You need to make sure that you are not diabetic, cause that may be due to diabet.
Second, I kindly advice you to make an abdominal- supra pubis ultrasound examination or intravaginal ultrasound to check for any kind of fistulas
since they may be the cause also.

If you have increased leucocites in your blood and if in your urine are strange bacterias growing on, then you need to take antibiotics.

If you have any fistula, or the "mesh" is being decomposed then you have to talk with your surgeon for a second intervention to close the fistula.

If you have other questions, please feel free to post them.

Best Regards,
Dr. Eni