What causes stomach pain with diarrhea?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
my wife has severe stomach pain for the past 7 hours with diarrhea...she ate lobster and within 1/2 hour started with these symptoms...any advise on how I can help her..pain is in the entire abdomen
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Acute Gastroeneteritis (Food poisoning)

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

As she developed these symptoms following consumption of lobster it suggest me that she is having food poisoning.

Symptoms generally start 1/2 hour to 24 hours after eating sea food.The poisoning may be treated at home with continuous fluid and Oral rehydration salt solution (ORS) intake and rest.

The symptoms comes down once the toxins of the food is excreted from the body.If the symptoms are not subsiding even after 24 hours following the onset of symptoms, you need to consult your doctor for intravenous fluids and Antibiotics.

Thank you.

Follow-up: What causes stomach pain with diarrhea? 6 minutes later
could it be a problem with her appendix, or are the symptoms different

can I give her something for the pain...I have hydrocodone 5/500 tab

Brief Answer:
Yes, you can give along with antacids

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the Query,

Acute appendicitis will have pain more in the right lower part of the abdomen near the groin area along with vomiting and fever.

To subside the pain, your wife can take the drug you are having but it should be taken only after taking Tab Rantac or Tab Omeprazole.

Thank you.