Suggest treatment for symptoms of IBS

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Dear Doctor. I am male aged 45 yrs vegetarian. My height is 5'10" and weight 85 kgs. I have indigestion problem since 1996. Normally I dont get appetite. But my appetite is like waxing and waning. If I eat, I take food continuously for some days, if not i take slightly.

My problem is I have been suffering from 1996 indigestion. I feel some sort of heavyness in the stomach and in turn I get unbearable headache. Depending on the gravity I take rantack 2-3 tabs followed by Combiflam. Then I rest for sometime. Then only I get relief.

I am a Central Government employee sedentary life style. When I work hard, my body becomes weak and I get sleep. Most of the time in a day I spend time for sleep only.

The reason might be since childhood I have been suffering from Anxiety Disorder and Depression. Even though now a days I am taking high does medicines. Is it causing sleep.

OK kindly tell me the solution for Indigestion and Headache please.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Irritable Bowel syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Welcome here.
From the details which you have provided, I think you are suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It is basically secondary to stress.
I would need some more details from you:

What all medications are you taking other than rantac and combiflam?
Do you have diarrhea alternating with constipation?
What diet plan are you following?
Do you smoke or take alcohol, tea, coffee? Quantity?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 32 minutes later
Dear Doctor. Thank you.
1) I take rantac and combiflam for indigestion and headache.
2) For anxiety and depression: Venlift OD 150 - 2 capsules, Rivotril 2mg - one tab, 3) Inderal 40 mg - 5 times in a day. These medicines I have been taking since last 18 years.
3) I don't have diarrhea and constipation. When I wake up in the morning immediately I go for motion. It is free. There is no problem at all.
4) Diet normally when I wake up in the morning cup of tea, breakfast: 2 chapatis 3) lunch 4 chapatis 5) Night: Rice
5) Yes sir, I take two cups of coffee and 3 cups of tea and once in a week beer.

With regards,
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Manage stress and diet.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the details.
I am noticing that you are taking good dose of anti anxiety and antidepressant medications since long. And you still feel stressed due to nature of your job.

I have some suggestions for you:

Avoid foods that trigger your symptoms.

Eat high-fiber foods.

Drink plenty of fluids.

Exercise regularly.

Get enough sleep.

Eliminate from your diet High-gas foods such as carbonated and alcoholic beverages, caffeine, raw fruit, and certain vegetables, such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower.

Practice relaxation exercises like deep breathing and meditation. You can also go for a morning walk. Managing stress is very important.

Avoid excess use of combiflam as it causes acidity itself. Also try to avoid excessive rantac intake as it may affect normal acid production in stomach which is necessary for food digestion.

If there is pain in abdomen, you can take dicyclomine tablets as per your doctor's advice.
Sporlac tablets may help to restore normal gut flora.

Hope this help.
All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Dear Doctor. Thank you for your suggestion.
Kindly tell me if I get headache due to indigestion which medicine can i use.
Secondly what are the doses of above medicines or whenever stomach full can I use these medicines.

With regards,
Brief Answer:
Etoricoxib

Detailed Answer:
If you have headache, you can take etoricoxib (prescription drug). It is safe for stomach.
Dicyclomine dosage is 20mg. It is also a prescription drug. Sporlac is a standard formulation which is easily available.

All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad