question-icon

What causes stomach distention, nausea, pain and abdominal bloating?

Posted on Fri, 25 Jul 2014
Question: I have distention nausea pain and bloating of the epigastric region just below the xyphoid process. Tests have ruled out celiac disease but there are a erosions in the gastric Antrum and there is a very low serum iron, ferritin, and iron concentration this is been present for more than eight months. Have low testosterone and extremely low DHEA (< 2 ! ).Stool is negative for occult blood, colonoscopy normal except for redundant flexures at the hepatic and splenic flexures. Occasional sharp pain in gall bladder region but ultrasounds = no stones or obstruction. Symptoms seem worse with mental stress or come out of the blue unrelated to eating or drink. What is it
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Probably Acute Gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in
The information provided suggests you are a well read person

It seems you have developed drug induced and stress related gastritis, as is evident from gastroscopy

Flagyl, Iron, Testosterone, Aspirin and alcohol all are known to cause bad gastritis

I would suggest you avoid all medicines which are not essential for you

Take Zegarid twice a day before breakfast and before dinner

Add a good probiotic twice a day

Liquid Sucralfate 2 tsf every four hours

Take bland diet, avoid alcohol and manage stress levels

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical