Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

What causes stinging and burning sensations in the face?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1597 Questions
I am having burning, stinging sensations on the right side of my face and in the outer corner of my right eye. There is also some feeling of numbness on the right side of my face from the outer corner of the right eye extending down to the outer right side of the lip. However, I do have feeling if I touch or poke the area. I also, at times, have a slight ear ache in my right ear. There is no drooping of the eye or face. Sometimes I feel a sharp pain going upward from above my right ear to top of the right side of my head. It doesn't last, but it just hurts for the moment. Any ideas?
Wed, 25 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably bells palsy

Detailed Answer:

You seem to have what we call as paraesthesias on the right side of the face with ear ache. Most of the symptoms you say are related to a problem called as Bell's palsy that occurs due to facial nerve infection by a virus.
There are other possibilities in diabetics, depression which present similarly but this bells palsy occurs often in elderly.
I suggest to meet a Internal Medicine / primary care doctor to check up and confirm.
Even if the doctor confirms the same, this is not a big problem and resolves on its own without treatment.
However it might also recur in future.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor